01 July 2011

Yummy, yummy 'unagi' - Japanese freshwater eel

Did you know the Japanese eel is different from what you imagine in western countries?
When I tell my overseas friends that I love eating eel, they think I love eating fatty snake-looking slimy creature. But Japanese eel is different from those and it has lovely subtle flavour with nicely grilled sweet soy sauce over it.

There are even the days in each summer (called 'doyou no ushinohi') you are supposed to eat eel to overcome the highly humid hot Japanese summer. Eel has high nutrition especially rich in Vitamin A and B and it is recognized as good source of stamina.

Most of eel are imported from China nowadays. You can enjoy the cuisine at unagi restaurants ... it is quite expensive though, as well as you buy already-made unagi in local supermarkets and eat at home.

I went to my favourite a little cafe-type unagi restaurant in Ginza the other day and I was shocked to see the size of unagi on rice! It was a half of the size compared with the one two years ago. Argh!

Yx

No comments:

Post a Comment